Lacking Motivation, Magnus Carlsen Will Give Up World Chess Title

In declaring that he would not be defending his title in 2019, the current world champion said, “I don’t have any inclination to play.

Magnus Carlsen is widely regarded as one of the all-time greatest chess players and the current world champion.

But he willingly gave up the title he had held since winning it in 2013 at the age of 22, declaring on Wednesday that he would not compete in the world championship the following year.

The five-time world champion and current age 31 said he was “very comfortable” with the choice after giving it “more than a year’s worth of contemplation.”

The first edition of his new podcast, the Magnus Effect, featured him saying, “I am not inspired to play another match; I simply feel that I don’t have a lot to gain.”

“I don’t have any desire to play, and I will merely choose not to participate in the match,” the player stated, “even though I’m sure a match would be intriguing for historical reasons and all of that.”

The announcement was made by Carlsen on International Chess Day.

In 2023, Carlsen was slated to face the Russian Ian Nepomniachtchi to defend his championship. Nepomniachtchi will now compete against Ding Liren of China, with the victor retaining the title.

Carlsen admitted that he did not particularly enjoy competing in the world championship, which is a 12- to 14-game match played against one opponent over a period of weeks. In December in Dubai, he defeated Nepomniachtchi to win his most recent title.

The games themselves have been engaging and entertaining at times, according to Carlsen. Overall though, I believe it’s time for me to retire from the world championship contests.

Carlsen declared he would carry on playing chess against opponents.

He admitted on the programme, “I really enjoy playing tournaments. They are obviously much more enjoyable to me than the world championship, and I honestly don’t see myself stopping playing chess anytime soon. Later on Wednesday, he claimed, he would be travelling to Croatia for a match.

Grandmaster Carlsen attained both titles by the ages of 13 and 19, respectively. He deposed Viswanathan Anand to win the world championship in 2013, and he successfully defended it four times by defeating Anand once more, Sergey Karjakin, Fabiano Caruana, and most recently Nepomniachtchi.

The absence of Carlsen will leave a gaping void at the top of the chess world. He is by far the biggest star in the game, and many people with a passing interest in it are likely just familiar with his name. Through a number of endeavours teaching and selling the game, he has been able to increase both his brand and his wealth thanks to this recognition.

His maximum score of 2882 is the highest ever. This year, he was ranked No. 2 overall on Chess.com, one position behind Bobby Fischer and ahead of Garry Kasparov.

Magnus is not exhausted, but I believe he is bored from playing in too many matches, Kasparov said earlier this month at the St. Louis Chess Club.

Carlsen has recently developed an interest in poker and participated in the World Series of Poker’s main event last week. In fact, he spent the first 50 minutes of his podcast on Wednesday talking about poker and Las Vegas before announcing that he was giving up the world championship.

Carlsen is one of a select group of prominent sports figures who quit their jobs when they were at the peak of their game. Many of them ultimately returned.

He remarked on Wednesday, “I don’t rule out a return in the future.” However, I wouldn’t put too much stock in it either.

Content Source :

You may like reading the following News also:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.